The certification program evaluates whether applicants satisfy established criteria relating to their knowledge, skill and competence necessary to solve practical ergonomic problems. Based on their qualifications, applicant should choose from available options the most appropriate type of application. Application instructions, forms and other relating documents are downloadable from our web site.
Types of certification
|Type of certification||The Certified Professional Ergonomist（CPE)||The Certified Associate Ergonomics Professional (CAEP)||The Certified Ergonomics Assistant (CEA)|
|Evaluation||written exam, essay, interview||portfolio examination||portfolio examination|
|Time of examination||Once a year (September, in Tokyo)||4 times a year||4 times a year|
|Application deadline||Around the end of July||At any time||At any time|
|Requirements||(i) college/university degree + ergonomics education (at least 3 years) + ergonomic job practices (at least 2 years)
(ii) college/university degree + ergonomic job eperience (at least 7 years)
|(i) college/university degree + at least 3 years ergonomics education (with at least 12 credits) (ii) college/university + practical ergonomic job experience (at least 5 years)||at least 6 credits in ergonomics at a junior college, technical college or equivalent institute, or equivalent education in a corporate training program.|
|Fee||30,000 JPY *1||10, 000 JPY||10,000 JPY|
|Others||Available also for students*2||Available also for students|
|See more details||See more details||See more details|
*1 15,000 JPY for The Certified Associate Ergonomics Professional (CAEP)
*2 Students can apply for this category by attaching a graduation letter with the application. However, certification will be given after they graduate even if they pass the exam.
The Certified Professional Ergonomist（CPE)
A written examination, essay and interview
*Examination is only available in Japanese.
Questions will be chosen based on Examination Guidebooks (format may change) which are available from the document download page.
The applicant should match one of the following descriptions:
- A person who possesses at least three years of education in ergonomics at a post-secondary institution (e.g., a college/university or a graduate school ), and at least two years of full-time job experience working in the field of ergonomics.
- A person who has at least seven years of full-time job experience in the field of ergonomics since graduating from a college/university (regardless of the faculty or department) or who has completed at least sixteen years of education, in total, outside Japan
Job experiences in ergonomics while an applicant was at a graduate school (excepting part-time students who were working outside the school) are counted as follows;
- The time spent while enrolled in a full-time master’s programme is not counted as part of ergonomic job experience.
- Up to 50% of the time in a doctoral programme can be counted towards the required working period. However, research work carried out to obtain the doctoral degree is not considered to be eligible ergonomic practice for the purpose of the evaluation.
- For part-time students who were working outside the school、time spent conducting research at graduate school is not counted as ergonomic job experience. Only ergonomic work outside the academic context is counted in this case.
*15,000 JPY for the Certified Associate Ergonomics Professional (CAEP)
The Certified Associate Ergonomics Professional (CAEP)
Applicants must satisfy at least one of the following requirements.
- A person who has a college/university degree and has at least three years of educational background in ergonomics with at least twelve academic credits*.
- A person who has a college/university degree and at least five years of full-time ergonomic job experience.
*Students can apply for this category by attaching a graduation letter with the application. However, certification will be given only after graduation, even if the other requirements for certification (as specified here) have been met.
The Certified Ergonomics Assistant (CEA)
A person who has at least six credits in ergonomics at a junior college, technical college or equivalent institute, or who has equivalent education in a corporate training program.
Examination Offerings are availabe (table below).